Thursday, October 09, 2008

Need to Watch!

The video below is very interesting. I encourage you to take a moment and watch through to the end.

The problem that I see with public education today is that it has the effect of relieving parents of the responsibility in the education of their child. I believe it comes down to a simply and fundamental lack of acceptance in the personal responsibility God has bestowed on the mother and father. To demonstrate that point, I'll give you an example that we recently experienced. At the beginning of the school year here in Bemidji, there is always a meet the teachers evening where you can go to see what the kids will be learning, review the curriculum, and talk with the individual teachers. Sounds important, right? Unfortunately, I had another meeting, but Beth attended on our behalf. Out of a 8th grade class of over 150 students...there were less than 5 parents who attended this event! To me, that speaks volumes. How as parents do you maintain oversight of public education if you don't engage? If parents keep a laissez-faire attitude, doesn't that create a vacuum? Of course!...and the state will step in to fill it. Parents lose control. The future of our society, our children, is now shaped by a godless state, not by Godly parents.

So what is the answer? Pull the children out and home school? Private education? Perhaps. I believe that will not fix the problem unless the majority of children are educated in that manner. No, the state must be held accountable to recognize and teach the moral and biblical values that are the cornerstone of a strong family unit. Doing so is another issue and another topic and requires a unified body of believers. Something that we, with all our denominations and quibbling, have eliminated throughout the years. That's something to think about!

If you are reading this through Facebook, click on 'view original post' below to see video.

4 comments:

♥ Craig & Jessica ♥ said...

Wow! I am really glad you found this and put this out to watch! It is SO important! People really do need to take more of a stand!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Matthew,

You don't know me...and I don't know you, but I find this post quite interesting and I have a point of view to share. I hope you will view my comments as nothing more than friendly dialogue. Firstly, I am a homeschooling Christian mom. So we are on the same page in viewing same sex marriage as biblically wrong. But....Separation of church and state protects our freedom to worship and should mean (in my opinion) that religion is absent from state run schools. And with the exit of Christianity from schools comes the entrance of Secularism -- which includes lifestyles contrary to Christian beliefs. Anything goes nowadays and in a free society where all are free to live and worship as they please, children in public schools are going to be taught "tolerance". Thank God that we at least have the choice to place our children in private Christian schools or home school. When folks place their children in the public school system I believe they are forfeiting privilege of controlling what their children are exposed to. I would not discount the value of pulling one's child out of the secular environment in favor of private or home school. It's true that it won't remedy society at large, but it does reinstate the parents God given responsibility to direct the lives of their children and it may make all the difference in the life of that one child.

Melanie said...

Watching this made me cry. The depravity of mankind is a scary thing and to see lies so strongly taught and believed in so vehemently is heartbreaking. Such a sobering responsibility we have to stand on truth and not bend even when it seems "far out" because society has moved so far away from it. May God find us faithful!

Melanie said...

It's me again! I just tagged you in a photo tag. Go to my blog and read my new post for details.

After this post, I want to see some of the new office project too! You should do before and after shots!